YOU ARE INVITED
Meet our shortlisted writers.* Who will win the 2020 Deborah Cass Prize for Writing?
You are invited to attend the Deborah Cass Prize for Writing online award ceremony on Thursday 26 November, 7pm to 7.45 pm (AEDT).
Please register here via Eventbrite for the Zoom link.
The 2020 winner and two runners-up have been chosen by Prize judges: Melanie Cheng, Lee Kofman and Sisonke Msimang. We can’t wait to announce them to you on the night!
Melanie Cheng told us the ‘final group is a great trio of writers that reflects not only a diversity of backgrounds but also a real and exciting diversity of writing styles.’
Join us to hear a wonderful group of writers host the evening:
- Philippe Sands, author and international lawyer, will be our guest speaker, live from Europe.
- Elly Varrenti, writer, teacher and broadcaster, will be our host.
- Rafeif Ismail, winner of the 2017 Prize, will speak from Perth about our alumni and their accomplishments.
- Lee Kofman, writer and judge, will present the prize winner and runners-up.
And, of course, you will meet and hear from this year’s winner which will be exciting.
It will be a great night celebrating emerging writers of migrant backgrounds who’ve entered our national Prize from four states in Australia.
Please join us – all are very welcome.
* Our nine shortlisted writers are: Line 1, left to right: ES (Eunice) Liew (VIC), The Gatherer; Johanna Ellersdorfer (NSW), Threads; Anith Mukherjee (NSW), I am Full of Love
Line 2: Geetha Balakrishnan (NSW), Oluwale, My God Has Come Home; Sahib Nazari (QLD), Alone Together; Dasha Maiorova (NSW), Birch
Line 3: Olivia Guntarik (VIC), Stitching Time; Pinchas Birnbaum (VIC), His Father’s Footsteps; Nadia Mahjouri Booker (TAS), Moroccan Blood